1. In this factory, suggestions often have to wait for months before they are fully _____.
A.admitted B.acknowledged C.absorbed D.considered
[答案] D. considered
[注释] considered 考虑; admit 承认; absorb 吸收。
[注意]acknowledge 1) (=agree or admit the truth of; confess) 承认, 供认; A. He acknowledged his mistake. (他承认了他的错误。) B. 接动名词 He acknowledged having been beaten. (他承认被打败了。) 2) (express thanks for) 致谢; A. Mary acknowledged the gift with a pleasant letter. (玛丽致函感谢馈赠的礼物。) B. His long service with the company was acknowledged with a present. (向他赠送礼品以感谢他长期来对公司的服务。)
2. The boy slipped out of the room and headed for the swimming pool without his parents’ _____.
A. command B. conviction C. consent D. compromise
[答案] C. consent
[注释] consent 同意, 赞成, 答应。conviction 深信, 确信。compromise 妥协, 折中。command 命令, 指令; 掌握, 运用能力。
3. Our research has focused on a drug which is so _____ as to be able to change brain chemistry.
A. powerful B. influential C. monstrous D. vigorous
[答案] A. powerful
[注释] powerful (=having or producing great power) 强有力的。在这里四个形容词中, 只有powerful (有效力的) 可与表示药物的名词搭配。influential 有影响的, 有势力的, monstrous 异常大的, vigorous 精力旺盛的, 强健有力的。
4. The lost car of the Lees was found _____ in the woods off the highway.
A. vanished B. abandoned C. scattered D. rejected
[答案] B. abandoned
[注释] abandoned (=give up completely) 放弃, 抛弃; 1) The scientist abandoned his research for lack of fund. 2) The sailors abandoned the burning ship
[注意]abandon 暗指某人对其所抛弃的人或物将会发生什么事情不感三分pk10计划网, 如把撞坏的汽车抛弃在路旁。vanish (=suddenly disappear; go out of existence) vi.消失, 绝迹; 1) The airplane vanished into the clouds.2) Many kinds of animals have vanished form the earth. (许多种类的动物以在地球上绝迹。) scatter (=send, go in different direction) 驱使, 使分散; The police scattered the crowed. (警察驱散人群。) (=throw or put in various directions) 撒, 到处放; He scattered his clothes all over the room. reject (=refuse to accept) 拒绝接受; She rejected my suggestion
5. Henry’s news report covering the conference was so _____ that nothing had been omitted.
[答案] C. comprehensive.
[注释] comprehensive 完全的无所不包的; comprehensible 能懂的, 可以理解的; understandable 可以理解的, 主要用来指人的行为。understanding 用来指人时, 表示"善于理解别人或别人问题的 (人) 。"注意下面的搭配：a comprehensive map (街区详图) ; a comprehensible remark (听得懂的话) ,an understandable mistake (可以理解的错误) ; an understanding friend (一位能理解人的朋友) 。
6. She was afraid that unless the train speeded up she would lose her _____ to Scotland.
A. ticket B. place C. seat D. connection
[答案] D. connection
[注释] lose one’s connection to 误了到......地方去的 (汽车、火车、轮船的) 联运; The train was late and I missed my connection.
7. The ship was _____ in a storm off Jamaica.
A. drowned B. sunk C. wrecked D. submitted
[答案] C. wrecked
[注释] wreck vt. 撞坏, 毁坏; 1) My son wrecked my car. 2) My car was completely wrecked in the accident.
sink vt. 下沉, 沉没, 该动词也可作及物动词用, 意为“使下沉”, 但按本题句意看, 用被动语态不妥。 drown 溺死, 淹死： (vt.) He drowned his wife. (vi) He drowned in the river. (他在河里淹死了。) submit 1) (=put oneself under the control of another) 提交, 呈送 (to) ： Should a wife submit herself to her husband? (妻子应顺从他丈夫吗？) 2) (=put forward for option, discussion, decision ect.) 提出 (供评论、讨论决定等) You must submit your request to the committee. 3) (=surrender (to) , give in) 屈服,投降：After being defeated, they submitted to the enemy. (打败后, 他们向敌人投降了。)
8. No one has _____ been able to trace the author of the poem.
A. still B. yet C. already D. just
[答案] B. yet
[注释] yet 常用于现在完成时的否定句中, 意为“尚, 还”。
9. More than one-third of the Chinese in the United States live in California, _____ in San Francisco.
A. previously B. predominantly C practically D. permanently
[答案] B. predominantly.
[注释] predominantly (=mostly; mainly) 主要地。 previously (=coming earlier in time or order) 先前, 早先; This is better than any solution previously. (这个办法比以前提出的任何解决办法都好。) practically (=really; in a practical way) 实际上。permanently (=going on for a long time) 永久地。
本题译文：在美国, 华人中有三分之一居住在加利福尼亚洲, 其中主要是在旧金山。
10. The new secretary has written a remarkably _____ report only in a few pages 三分pk10计划网 with all the details.
A. concise B. clear C. precise D. elaborate
[答案] A. concise.
[注释] concise (=brief; giving much information in few words) 简明扼要的：He gave a concise report of the meeting. (他对会议作了简明扼要的报道。) clear 清楚的。precise (=exact; correctly stated; free form error) 精确的, 明白无误的; Please tell me the precise measurements. (请告诉我精确的尺寸。) elaborate (=worked out with much care; carefully prepared) 精心制作的, 丰盛的：Peter worked out an elaborate scheme for raising the money. (彼得制定了一项详尽得计划来筹集着笔款项。) 孤立地看, 似乎4个形容词均能修饰report, 但从句子的逻辑三分pk10遗漏看, 后半句中有only in a few pages but with all the details, 故concise 是最贴切的选择了。
11. The managing director took the _____ for the accident, although it was not really his fault.
A. guilt B. charge C. blame D. accusatio
[答案] C. blame.
[注释]take the blame for 对......承担责任。Take charge of 负责管理 (照顾) 。[注意]charge 前无冠词the.
12. The worker agreed to _____ the strike if the company would satisfy their demands.
A. call for B. call forth C. call off D. call up
[答案] C. call off [注释] 详见III,25,26注释。
13. I could just see a car in the distance, but I couldn’t _____ what color it was.
A. look out B. make out C. get across D. take after
[答案] B. make out [注释] 详见III,123注释。
14. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
A. eventually B. yet C. finally D. accordingly
[答案] D. accordingly.
[注释]accordingly (=for that reason, therefore) 因此, 所以。
15. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn’t like.
A. attempt B. trouble C. power D. effort
[答案] D. effort.
[注释] effort (作可数名词用) (=vigorous attempt) 努力的尝试：Does it require a great effort of will to give up smoking? (戒烟需要坚强的毅力吗？)
16. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
A. extinguish B. prevent C. suppress D. ruin
[答案] A. extinguish.
[注释] extinguish (=put out) vt. 扑灭 (火焰等) 。Stop the fire虽然也可以搭配, 但按本句题意用extinguish为最佳。
17. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs. Richard _____ common.
A. nothing but B. anything but C. above all D.rather than
[答案] B. anything but.
[注释] anything but (=far from being) 根本不; The boys knew they bad broken the rules, and they were anything but happy when they were called to the office. (=They were unhappy and afraid.) nothing but 只不过; Don’t have him for a friend; he’s nothing but a criminal. (不要把他当朋友, 他只不过是个罪犯。) I have nothing but two dollars. (我只有2美元。) above all最重要的。rather than 而不是
18. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off B. taken off C. written off D. picked up
[答案] C. written off.
[注释] write off报废, 参看III, 200.注释; break off参看III.13.注释; take off参看III.170.注释; pick up参看III.130,129.注释。
19. On this happy occasion, I’d like to say that we are _____ much obliged to you for your kind cooperation.
A. even so B. ever so C. as yet D. so far
[答案] B. ever so.
[注释]ever so (=very) 非常; It’s ever so cold.与名词搭配时则用ever such, 如：She’s ever such a nice girl. (她是一位非常好的姑娘。) even so (=although that is true, nevertheless; still) 即使如此：The fire was out, but even so, the smell of smoke was strong. (=The fire was out, but the smell was still there.)
20. His new appointment takes _____ from the beginning of next month.
A. place B. effect C. post D. office、
[答案] B. effect. [注释]take effect 生效。
21. The policeman stopped him when he was driving home and _____ him of speeding.
A. charged B. accused C. blamed D. deprived
[答案] B. accused.
[注释]accuse sb. of... 控告某人犯有......, warn sb. of警告、告戒某人有......deprive sb. of sth.剥夺某人某事。charge sb. with murder (指控某人犯有杀人罪) 。
22. Mr. Smith gradually _____ a knowledge of the subject.
A. attained B. achieved C. required D. acquired
[答案] D. acquired.
[注释]acquired (=gain for oneself by skill or ability, by one’s own efforts or behavior) (由技术、能力、努力或行为) 获得; 得到：He has acquired a good command of English language. (他已精通三分pk10遗漏。) achieve, vt. 取得 (胜利、成功等) , 实现 (目标、目的等) 。 attain, vt. 达到 (目的等) , 取得 (成就等) ：1) I hope you will attain your object. (我希望你会达到你的目的。) 2) He attained success through hard work.
23. This is the _____ piano on which the composer created some of his greatest works.
A. actual B. genuine C. real D. original
[答案] A. actual
[注释]本题中actual (=existing in fact, not imaginary) 实际使用过的。actual, read, genuine是三分pk10, 有时可以互换, 如：an actual (or real) event in history, (历史上的真实事件) , real (or genuine) banknotes (真钞票), 其反义词是false (假的) ; original (原来的) , 其反义词是duplicate (复制的) 。从不同的角度看, 似乎任何一个选择都说得过去, 但按照题意选A. actual 最佳, 因为题中强调的不是钢琴的真假, 而是指作曲家“实际使用过的”。本题译文：这是作曲家创作他的一些杰出作品时实际使用过的那台钢琴。
24. My camera can be _____ to take pictures in cloudy or sunny conditions.
A. treated B. adopted C. adjusted D. remedied
[答案] C. adjusted.
[注释]adjust (=arrange, put in order or agreement; make suitable or convenient for use) 强调, 调节, 使适应; The body adjusts itself to change of temperature. (身体能自行调节以适应温度的变化。) My eyes have not been adjusted to dark yet. (我的眼睛还没有适应黑暗。) 本句中adjust是不及物动词。I must adjust my watch. It’s slow. (我必须调一下我的表。它走得慢了。)
25. According to the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, wisdom comes from the _____ of maturity.
A. fulfillment B. achievement
C. establishment D. accomplishment
[答案] B. achievement
[注释]achievement (=something successfully finished or gained especially through skill and hard work) 取得, 达到, 成就。例如：achievement age智力成熟年龄。fulfilment (=the act of fulfilling or condition of being fulfilled) 履行, 实行。如：He was willing to face any hardship in fulfilment of his duties. (他愿意迎向困难去履行他得职责。) establishment 建立,建设。Accomplishment (顺利) 完成：It was a great accomplishment to finish the house cleaning in two days. (两天内打扫完这栋屋子是件很了不起的事。)
26. The number of tickets _____ will be determined by the size of the stadium.
A. adaptable B. acceptable C. advisable D. available
[答案] D. available.
[注释] available. (=capable of being used; that may be obtained) 可用的, 有效的, 可得到的。例如：1) There are no doctors available in the remote areas. (在边远地区没有大夫。) 2) There tickets are available for on month. (这些票有效期一个月。)
acceptable 可以接受的：None of the suggestions was acceptable. advisable 明智的, 可取的, 适当的：I think it advisable that he be assigned to the job. (我认为指派他干这项工作是可取的。) adaptable 能适应的：He is an adaptable man and will soon learn the new work.
27. Too many hotels have been built and this has _____ prices, making holidays cheaper.
A. cut short B. cut out C. cut off D. cut down
[答案] D. cut down.
[注释] cut down 参阅III,38注释。
28. He is a very honest official and never _____ any gifts from the people who sought his help.
A. accepted B. received C. took up D. excepted
[答案] A. accepted
[注释] receive 收到, 接到, 指“收, 接”这一动作; 而accept 是经过考虑“接受”下来, 表示当事人的态度, 如：I received the present, but I did not accept it. (我收到了这件礼物, 但我没有接受。)
29. He was not _____ to the club because he wasn’t a member.
A. allowed B. admitted C. permitted D. approved
[答案] B. admitted.
[注释] admit sb. to (=allow sb. or sth. to enter; let in) 允许某人某物进入; 让......进入：1) Children are not admitted. (儿童免进。) Only one hundred boys are admitted to the school the school every year. (这所学校每年只收100名男生。) admit (=acknowledge; confess) 承认, 供认：1) We have to admit that he is a highly competent man. (我们不得不承认他是一位能力很强的人。) 2) The thief admitted his crime. 3) She admitted having read the letter, 4) I admit breaking the window. 注意admit后可接动名词的一般式或完成式。5) We must admit the task to be difficult。注意admit也可以接复合结构。allow和permit后均可接sb. to do sth., 故不合本题题意。approve sth. 批准; approve of doing sth. (=think well of) 赞成, 赞许：1) I am afraid they won’t approve of your going there. (恐怕他们不会赞成你去那里的。) 2) I don’t approve of your way of looking at things. (我不赞同你看待事情的方法。)
30. Although he doesn’t like that law, he will _____ with it.
A. confine B. conform C. comply D. contend
[答案] C. comply [注释] comply with 遵守。
31. Motorists _____ of speeding may be banned from driving for a year.
A. convicted B. arrested C. charged D. judged
[答案] A. convicted.
[注释]be convicted to 被判有...... (罪) ：He was convicted of murder. (他被法院判有谋杀罪。)
32. The reason why he adapted to the new situations quickly is that he has a _____ attitude.
A. changeable B. alternate C. movable D. flexible
[答案] D. flexible.
[注释] flexible 灵活的, 可变通的; We need a foreign policy that is more flexible.
33. Will all those _____ the proposal raise their hands?
A. in relation to B. in excess of
C. in contrast to D. in favor of
[答案] D. in favor of.
[注释] in favor of 赞成。in excess of 超过。in relation to 关系到。in contrast to 与......相对照。例如：
1) Everyone in the class voted in favor of the party. (=All of the children voted to have a party.)
2) We got $5000 in excess of the fixed sum. (我们盯定额多收入5000美元。)3) This appears small in contrast to (with) that. (这个同那个对比起来显得小了。)4) I have a lot to say in relation to that affair. (我对那件事有许多话要说。)
5) We must plan in (with) relation to the future. (我们定计划时要考虑到将来。)
34. An early typewriter produced letters quickly and neatly; the typist, _____ couldn’t see his work on his machine.
A. however B. therefore C. yet D. although
[答案] A. however.
[注释] however 然而。
35. We are interested in the weather because it _____ us so directly ------ what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
A. benefits B. guides C. affects D. effects
[答案] C. affects.
[注释] affect (=have an influence or effect on) 影响：The climate affected his health. (气候影响[损害]了他的健康。)
[注意]affect vt. 影响。effect n. (=influent) 影响, 作用：Some films have a misleading effect on children. effect vt. (=bring about) 实行, 进行, 产生......后果:1) I will effect my purpose: no-one shall stop me! 2) We hope to effect an improvement. (我们希望能引起改进。)
注意两个常用的习语:1) to that effect 那个意思的 (话) ：She said she hated spinach, or words to that effect. (她说她不喜欢吃菠菜或那个意思的话。) 2) to the effect that... 意思时说, 表示下述意思：I said a few words the effect that all he had told us was already well known. (我说了几句话, 意思是说他告诉我们的一切都已众所周知。)
36. I can meet you at eight o’clock; _____ you can call for me.
A. incidentally B. actually
C. alternatively D. accordingly
[答案] C. alternatively
[注释]alternatively (=as an alternative) 作为一个替代办法：If however is used, but is not needed; or alternatively omit however. (如果使用however,就不需要but;或者作为一个替代办法省去however。)
[注意]alternately 和 alternatively的区别:alternately (交替地) ：At a Chinese dinner, the guests and the hosts sit alternately at a round table.
37. He has the _____ of an athlete: he really goes all out to win.
A. instants B. instances C. instincts D. intelligences
[答案] C. instincts.
[注释] instinct 天生的本领。instant n. 瞬间, 时刻; adj. 立即的, 直接的。如：instant coffee 速溶咖啡; instant food (s) 方便食品。例如：Spaceships are stocked with a variety of instant foods. (宇宙飞船上备有各种个样的方便食品。)
38. A university is an educational institution which _____ degrees and carries out research.
A. rewards B. awards C. grants D. presents
[答案] B. awards.
[注释]awards sb. sth. 授于某人某物。如：They awarded John the first prize. (他们授于约翰一等奖。)
对比：reward sb with sth. 以某物酬谢某人, 须加介词with; They rewarded the boy with $5 for bringing back the lost dog. (他们给这男孩5美元酬谢他把丢失的狗找回来。) grant (=consent to give or allow what is asked for) 同意 (给予) , 答应 (请求) ：The firm granted him a pension. (公司同意给予他退休金。) present sb. with sth. 赠送：Our class presented the school with a picture. (我们班给学校送了一幅画。) present 颁发, 呈递：1) The principal will present the diplomas. (校长将颁发文凭。) 2) We shall present a complete report to the Annual Conference. (我们将向年会递交一份全面的报告。)
39. The old lady can’t hope to _____ her cold in a few days.
A. get over B. get off C. hold back D. hold up
[答案] A. get over [注释] 参阅III,55注释。
40. Jim’s plans to go to college _____ at the last moment.
A. fell out B. gave away C. gave off D. fell through
[答案] D. fell through，未能实现 [注释] 参阅III,49注释。
41. The Department is also deeply _____ in various improvement schemes.
A. connected B. included C. involved D. implied
[答案] C. involved.
[注释]be involved in 参与。Be included in 包括在......中。
42. Keys should never be hidden around the house since thieves _____ know where to look.
A. virtually B. variously C. unavoidably D. invariably
[答案] D. invariably.
[注释]invariably 总是, 不变地。Virtually 事实上, 实际上。unavoidably不可避免地。
43. The boy had a _____ escape when he ran across the road in front of the bus.
A. close B. short C. narrow D. fine
[答案] C. narrow. [注释]have a narrow escape 幸免遇难。
44. Do you mind if I _____ with my work while you are getting tea ready.
A. get through B. turn to C. carry on D. come on
[答案] C. carry on. [注释]carry on 继续, 参看Ⅲ,28。
45. I left for the office earlier than usual this morning _____ traffic jam.
A. in line with B. in case of
C. for the sake of D. at the risk of
[答案] B. in case of.
[注释] in case of 参看Ⅲ,94注释。In line with (=in agreement with) 与......一致, 符合：His actions were not in line with his belief.本句中in line with...作表语。In line with history and social evolution socialism is inevitable.本句中in line with引导地短语作状语, 意为“按照”。For the sake of 为了......起见。At the sake of冒......的风险。
46. The finance minister has not been so _____ since he raised taxes to such a high level.
A. popular B. well-known C. favorable D. preferable
[答案] A. popular.
[注释]popular 此处意为“ (=liked and admired) 受爱戴的, 有名声或声望的”。
47. It is wrong for someone in such a high _____ in the government to behave too badly in public.
A. situation B. position C. employment D. profession
[答案] B. position.
[注释] position 此句中指“地位” (不可数, 有时加不定冠词), 如：1) She was a woman of high position. 2) a high (low) position society.
48. We all knew from the very _____ that the plan would fail.
A. outcome B. outset C. income D. output
[答案] B. outset.
[注释] outset 开端, 开始, from the very outset (从一开始) 。outbreak爆发, 发生。outcome结局. income 收入。output 产量。
49. He looked rather untidy as there were two buttons _____ from his coat.
A. loosing B. losing C. off D. missing
[答案] D. missing.
[注释] missing 缺少的; a book with some missing pages. (缺页书) 。
50. Lawyers often make higher _____ for their work than they should.
A. bills B. charges C. prices D. costs
[答案] B. charges.
[注释] make charges for对......收 (费) ; 索 (价) 。charge也可以用作动词, 表示“收费, 索价”, 如：1) We don’t charge anything for that. (对此我们不收费。) 2) How much do you charge for a haircut? (理个发要收多少钱？)
51. The workmen made so much _____ that Mrs. Walker had to spend three days cleaning up afterwards.
A. trouble B. damage C. mess D. nuisance
[答案] C. mess.
[注释] make mess弄得乱七八糟。Make a mess of“把......弄得乱七八糟”：He made a mess of his work. (他把他的工作搞得乱七八糟。
52. They have held several meetings to _____ next year’s production plans.
A. set down B. make out C. work up D. draw up
[答案] D. draw up.
53. How can we get this language point _____ to the students.
A. down B. round C. across D. into
[答案] C. across.
54. This book gives a brief _____ of the history of the castle and details of the art collection in the main hall.
A. outline B. reference C. article D. outlook
[答案] A. outline.
[注释] outline 轮廓, 概要; give an outline of sth. 概要说明某事。
55. Dress warmly, _____ you’ll catch cold.
A.on the contrary B.or rather C. or else D. in no way
[答案] C. or else.
[注释] or else (=otherwise; if not) 否则：Hurry up, or (else) you’ll be late.
56. Kate’s ambition to become a nurse _____ from a desire to help others.
A. prompted B. promoted C. programmed D. proceeded
[答案] D. proceeded.
[注释] proceed form (=arise form) 来自; 由......产生：1) Clouds of smoke proceeded form the chimney. (从烟囱里升起缕缕浓烟。) 2) This proceeded from ignorance. (这是出于无知。)
[注意] proceed 的其他用法： (=go on [to do sth.]; continue) 接着 (做某事) ; 继续进行; 1) He proceeded to give me a vivid description of the mountainous scenery there. (他接着给我栩栩如生地描述那里的山区景色。) 2) 接介词with; Now please proceed with your story. (现在请你接着将下去。) 3) 接介词to: We will now proceed to the next business. (我们现在将接着干下面的一件事。) 4) 准备取得 (某种学位) ：He will proceed to the degree of M.A. this year. (他准备今年取得文科硕士学位。)
57. The island where these rare birds nest has been declared a _____.
A.observation B.reservation C. preservation D.conservation
[答案] D. conservation.
[注释] conservation 保存(自然资源等) the conservation of soil and water 水土保持; the law of conservation of energy 能量守恒定律。observation观察; reservation (旅馆房间、戏院座位等的) 预定; 保留 (意见) ; [美]保留地：1) Have you make your reservations? (你预定了没有？) 2) I will accept the suggestion without reservation. (我将毫无保留地接受这项建议。) 3) The government has set apart Indian reservations. (政府已经划出印地安人保留地。) preservation保存 We must strive for the preservation of our natural resources. (我们必须努力保护自然资源)conservation, preservation, reservation从汉语概念出发时很容易混淆。Conservation是动词conserve派生的名词, 与原来动词的三分pk10相同, 表示"保持、保存”时, 强调“珍惜、节用。 Preservation是动词preserve派生的名词, 强调“收藏、保存”使之完好无损或质量不变; 常与食品、博物馆收藏的展品等词搭配。Reservation主要指意见、看法等的“保留”; 作“保留地”解时, 尤指美国印地安人保留地或澳大利亚土著民族保留地。本题指自然生态的保持, 用conservation最切题。
58. Although John was the eldest in the family, he always let his sister _____ charge of the house.
A. take B. hold C. make D. get
[答案] A. take.
[注释] take charge of (=to be or become responsible for sb. or sth.) 负责、掌管、看管; He took charge of the department (or the children)
59. The child enjoyed _____ up the wooden bricks then knocking them down.
A. adding B. pushing C. piling D. forming
[答案] C. piling.
[注释] pile up (=lay in a pile or as if in a pile) 把......放成一堆, 堆积：pile up the books on the table (把书堆在桌子上) 。Pile up作不及物动词用, 意为“积压; (若干汽车) 相撞”：1) Perishable goods are piling up at the docks. (码头上易腐烂的货物堆积如山。) 2) Several cars piled up after ignoring the fog warning on the motorway. (由于无视高速公路上的大雾警告, 有好几辆汽车相撞。)